Heel is the largest bone of your foot and problems with heel can be really uncomfortable. Many people experience heel pain because of strains, sprains, bursitis, arthritis and tendonitis. Some of the people also go through plantar fasciitis where the thick band tissue bloats and causes unbearable heel pain.
Following are simple effective ways for soothing heel pain:
- Rest: Primarily, it is essential to stay off your feet for couple of days to completely recover from the pain. The injury can get worst if you don’t give it enough time to heal itself. By resting and using a few pain relievers, your injury will get resolved without going to the doctor. But don’t completely trust this method; it the pain is persistent, you have to consult the doctor.
- Take the prescribed pain relievers: Try acetaminophen or ibuprofen, which will reduce inflammation and swelling to help you sooth your heel pain.
- Use ice: Ice helps in reducing inflammation and swelling. If you don’t have an ice pack, use a frozen bottle and roll under each foot every day for couple of minutes.
- Upgrade your shoes: Your heel pain might be because of the pair of shoes you might be using. Invest in a new pair of shoes that offers memory foam footpad and extra arch support. You can even try slipping gel insoles inside of your shoes. Also, if possible avoid walking barefoot and don’t walk on uneven surfaces.
- Stretch: Researches suggests that stretching and flexing feet helps in relieving heel pain. You can try exercising, doing yoga, swimming, biking or any other low-impact exercise.
- Lose Weight: If you are obese and overweight, your feet and legs are burdened of carrying every extra pound. This consequently leads to discomfort, pain and many other severe health issues. Losing weight via exercise and diet eases the discomfort and relives stress on the lower-limbs.
- Consult the doctor: If the heel pain gets worse, it is the time to consult the doctor and get treated. The doctor will investigate the problem and give your pain killers and appropriate medicine and advice to soothe the heel pain.